Unsubscribing

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Wed Sep 3 14:45:28 UTC 2008

Karl Larsen wrote:

>     The name Ubuntu means it just works. If that didn't happen in your
> case then your computer is either not main stream or it is broken. If
> Windows works on your computer use it!
>
> Karl

What a load of crap, Karl.  Are you serious?  Googling 'Ubuntu' gives me
this:

Ubuntu (IPA: [uːˈbuːntuː] in English,[1] [ùɓúntú] in Zulu) is a free
computer operating system based on the Linux kernel. Its name comes from
the Zulu word ubuntu, loosely translated as "humanity".

(Thanks Wikipedia.)

So not only are you WRONG about what it means, you're simply not being
helpful at all in trying to get the problems fixed.

I've never been more appalled at a post in my life.  Did you even look
at his previous posts before this one?  Probably not.

The problems he was having (at least the VPN one) would probably have
been a problem in Windows as well.

His printing problems weren't problems so much as he wasn't sure how to
configure his linux box to print to a windows shared printer.

The point is, /nothing/ 'just works' all the time.  People have problems
getting things setup.  In Windows or otherwise.  We all have to start
somewhere.  Your attitude toward him (and others) is childish and makes
this list look very bad in the eyes of a lot of people.  Would you
appreciate your mechanic telling you, 'well Oldsmobile means 'it just
works' and since it doesn't for you, maybe you should go to Ford'?

How would you have liked one of your school teachers to tell you what
you just told Chris?  Would you have learned anything?  No.  Would you
have been encouraged to keep trying?  No.

I can't remember a time when I've posted so many semi-to-angry emails to
a list.  It's like dealing with 5 year olds.  We are all supposed to be
adults on this list, yet I continue to see posts like this one.  If you
can't help the poster, then STFU.  Plain and simple.  If you have
nothing useful to add concerning Ubuntu, do likewise.  Get some manners
and show some respect.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support