rolling Firefox back to 2.x

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 08:33:29 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Tony Arnold
<tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
> Nik,
>
> Nik N wrote:
>
>> Answers which imply that such concerns are ill-founded are not
>> helpful - through a process that this list discussion can't influence, the
>> users involved have already decided that FF3 could not be trusted to
>> reliably operate as they desire. Likewise for answers that imply there
>> are other elements that should be considered part of the threat model
>> (for instance, network monitoring): users already know about those
>> and have an appropriate defense strategy.
>
> I cannot answer your questions about FF3, however, given your security
> concerns have you considered using an encrypted file system for /home?
> It would not matter then what FF or any other app does, the files are
> unreadable by any forensic tools without the pass phrase.
>
> Just a thought.
>
> Regards,
> Tony.
> --
> Tony Arnold,                        Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 6093
> Head of IT Security,                Fax: +44 (0) 870 136 1004
> University of Manchester,           Mob: +44 (0) 773 330 0039
> Manchester M13 9PL.                 Email: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk

For the really paranoid user that does not want to think about any of
this just do all your surfing form a live CD. END OF STORY. No data at
all on the disk!

If you want to do a little work you can even make a live CD with your
own default FF3 set up, links and all.

I just read that the next *ubuntu will have encrypted directories as a
user option thus making that path easier too. It might even be in the
alpha or beta or whatever the devs are at now.

might want to read this. There was also A German distro that was all
about  privacy and it was by the gov. I think it had all encrypted HD
too but I can't find it.
http://adamantix.org/tiki-index.php
--
Douglas E Knapp