locale and OpenOffice

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 20:25:47 UTC 2008

2008/8/31 verwertungsprozess <verwertungsprozess at gmail.com>

> Hi,
>
> I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 with LANG=en_US.UTF-8 because I prefer using
> applications in English language. Nevertheless I want to use
> international standard formats for things like dates and measurements.
> Thus I set LC_TIME=en_DK.utf8 because with this setting Thunderbird
> shows all dates as yyyy-mm-dd instead of mm/dd/yyyy.
>
> Now I want OpenOffice to use the metric system (i.e. centimeters
> instead of inches). I tried
>
> $ LC_MEASUREMENT=en_DK.utf8 openoffice
>
> and
>
> $ LC_MEASUREMENT=de_DE.utf8 openoffice
>
> but OpenOffice still uses inches.
>
> Even if I use
>
> $ LANG=de_DE.utf8 openoffcie
>
> but then OpenOffice uses German language but still inches for measurements
> :(
> So it looks to me as if OpenOffice wouldn't use the system locale
> settings at all to determine the measurement units to use. On the
> other hands I couldn't find any setting in the preferences to set the
> measurement units. But I saw on a completely German Ubuntu OpenOffice
> using the metric system.
>
> Could anyone give me a hint how to force OpenOffice to use the metric
> system for measurements?
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Moritz Reiter

I just noticed that you asked a question about OpenOffice.org on the Ubuntu
list. That's not a bad idea, I suppose, I just wanted to inform you, just in
case you didn't already know, that there are a few OpenOffice.org lists as
well. In the future, if you ask something more and don't get good answers
here, you might want to try the users at openoffice.org list. There are also
lists for OpenOffice.org developers and a few lists for other languages than
English. More info can be found at
openoffice.org<http://www.openoffice.org/mail_list.html>but I think
you can subscribe to the OpenOffice.org user's list by sending
an empty email to users-subscribe at openoffice.org.

J.R.