Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid install doesn't seem complete

Dave M G martin at autotelic.com
Fri Oct 31 05:08:52 UTC 2008

Ubuntu Users,

This morning I upgraded both my desktop and laptop computers from 8.04
to 8.10.

The install process went very differently. For the laptop, many files
were downloaded, and it took a an hour or so to configure, and when it
was all done, I could see lots of differences, in the themes, Nautilus,
and other ways.

For the desktop, it only took about five minutes to download and install
everything. When I rebooted, everything was pretty much the same.

It seemed odd, so I wanted to check the software sources to see if I
really had upgraded. And here's where the weirdness starts. If I go to
System->Administration->Software Sources, no interface comes up. Doesn't
do anything at all.

If I go to System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager, if I try to
look at the repositories, it tells me that the repositories need to be
reloaded before I can change any sources. So I reload the sources, but
nothing changes. All I ever get is a message saying to reload the
repositories, and doing so gets me nowhere.

I'm now concerned that I have only partially upgraded to Intrepid.

I'd really like to not have to blow away my current installation and
rebuild everything. Is there a way I can force an upgrade to complete
the process?

Thanks for any advice.

--
Dave M G