Ubuntu download

Alan_Dacey at horizonblue.com Alan_Dacey at horizonblue.com
Thu Oct 30 19:10:49 UTC 2008

>From: <sfreilly at roadrunner.com>
>Subject: Re: Ubuntu download
>---- Alan_Dacey at horizonblue.com wrote:
>
>> If you are playing high-end games, you will not get them to work on
>> anything but windows.
>
>Thats not really true.
>
>Many times games run at a fps greater than windows on the same box.
>you may want to look at cedega or codeweavers. (not just for games)  Ive
found that there are many, many games and programs supported by wine out
of the box.  Both these >companies upstream wine improvements so you dont
even need to get into subscriptions.   good luck.

You got me there :(
I even just got the free codeweavers gaming thing yesterday and I should
have remembered that.  At the time I wrote that I did not have my morning
coffee.  That's my story and I'm sticking with it!  What I should have
said is that the very latest games will probably not run very well without
subscription software or some tweaking in wine.  I have gotten some older
games running pretty much OK.  I also have not put in a lot of time in it
so I am sure it can be done better.  And there is always DosBox for the
really old ones.  I can still play Doom 2. (now if I can ever shoot some
rockets into that mouth at the end I can actually finish it)

Alan Dacey

This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, disclosure, copying, use, or distribution of the information included in this message is prohibited -- please immediately and permanently delete this message.