fdisk/gparted Bug

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu Oct 30 00:36:03 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>

>> Derek Broughton wrote:

>>> I'm just not sure that the end of an Extended partition is meaningful,
>>> except as the last cylinder of the last logical partition contained in
>>> it. I guess the way to tell that is to find out if fdisk would let you
>>> put another logical partition on the end of the drive, without changing
>>> the Extended partition in any way.
>>>

>>     Did that with fdisk and got the error "no more space on the disk" so
>> it believes what it displays.
>>

> OK, then.  I'm convinced you've found some kind of a bug, but I'll be darned
> if I can figure out where the bug actually is!

    The bug is that fdisk see's my hard drive wrong. And gparted see's
it right. We are talking about 103 GB of space that gparted see's and
will let me use. But fdisk has changed the data in the hard drive to
show zero remaining space.

    My Phd in EE makes me think that fdisk does not handle free space
well. I have Fedora 7 on my laptop and will see how that fdisk works.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User