Problems with Updates

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 29 23:36:53 UTC 2008

On 10/29/2008 02:40 PM, Kennneth P. Turvey wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 20:20:21 -0700, Pastor JW wrote:

>>> Yes, it is a Dell Inspiron 1525 and sound still isn't working.  I've
>>> installed all the updates up to today's.
>>
>> Okay then, your problem is the modem, look here
>> http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu_8.04/Issues/
> Modem_Does_Not_Work
>>
>> On the first instruction instead of 2.5.24-17 use your current kernel.
>> If you did the updates it should be 2.5.24-19 and use the instructions
>> for having 8.04 already installed.  Then after you download the modem
>> driver, in your terminal, BEFORE you do the sudo command, you need to cd
>> into the directory where ever you downloaded the file.  You should now
>> have your sound back!  I started trying to fix this last Friday
>> afternoon.  Didn't work on it over the weekend for obvious reasons.
>> Thought I'd tackle it again today and got it working this morning.
>
> Does this really make sense.  This is Hardy as installed from the Ubuntu
> disks, not something from Dell.  Everything worked under Hardy, with the
> possible exception of the modem, since I didn't ever try it.  I never
> installed any modem drivers on this laptop.

http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu_8.04#Known_Issues

You'd be surprised. Quite often another device can take over the other
drivers. The above seems to indicate that the modem driver did:

<quote>
Restore name of sound driver that old modem driver renamed:

$ cd /lib/modules/`uname -r`/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver/pci/hda
$ sudo mv snd-hda-intel.ko.REPLACEDBYhsfmodem snd-hda-intel.ko
</quote.

Why don't you just give it a try? It's documented so you can reverse if
necessary. *And* in that it is a Dell site (http://linux.dell.com/) it's
a pretty safe bet that they have run across the problem & the provided
instructions will/may work.