What hour will 8.10 be available?

Alan_Dacey at horizonblue.com Alan_Dacey at horizonblue.com
Wed Oct 29 18:47:39 UTC 2008

>Alan_Dacey at horizonblue.com wrote:
>> Does anybody know the exact time that Intrepid will be available for
>> download?  I know it's tomorrow, but I can't find anything announcing
the
>> hour.  Would it be midnight London time?  I want to get one of the
first
>> copies so I can torrent it.
>>
>> Alan Dacey
>>

>    I got my copy yesterday. It has a rc in the title but it loaded. If
>your video driver is not nVidia it should load just fine when ever you
>get it. My version first came up with a terrible screen and asked if I
>wanted the nVidia non-ubuntu software which I do and this didn't work.
>It failed and asked if I wanted to send a error message. I said yes. It
>failed again saying several files like jockey and pigen are old versions
>and it would not work.
>
>    I got 130 updates which took an hour plus and when I rebooted it
>came up with NO X-Windows! So I plan to stay with Hardy and wait until
>the new version is fixed up enough you can load a nVidia system properly.
>
>Karl

That's the release candidate, not the final version.  The real 8.10 should
have very little updates.
The easiest way I found to fix the Nvidia driver problem is to use envyng.
 I'm not on a good OS right now so my package names may be a bit off, but
these are the basic steps:

(from a terminal)

sudo apt-get install envyng-core
<then depending on your desktop type one of the following:>
        for gnome-->sudo apt-get install envyng-gtk
        for kde---->sudo apt-get install envyng-qt

        <after install>
envyng -t
        <select 1>
        <watch it download and compile and start a good looking session>

Alan Dacey

This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, disclosure, copying, use, or distribution of the information included in this message is prohibited -- please immediately and permanently delete this message.