server question

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Wed Oct 29 12:44:53 UTC 2008

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 17:11 -0700, NoOp wrote:
>> I suspect that "Anna" is simply a troll.

> However, if you look closely, in the posting from April that you linked
> Anna mentioned being in 7th grade. A few posts ago in another subthread
> of the current discussion Anna mentioned being in 8th grade. That would
> be a pretty sophisticated troll, I don't believe it.

While I do tend to agree with that, I will say that I disagree from the
standpoint that it takes weeks between post replies.  Not to mention the
fact that the replies tend to be argumentative rather than helpful.
(Also, the strange fact that they are writing a book on Linux tends to
make me really think this is a troll. Especially when you consider they
seem to have little to no technical knowledge.)

> I believe we have here a young person trying to learn about free
> software who has little guidance (at least) in this matter in real life
> (she mentioned in earlier postings that her parents are no help, etc.)

What I believe is of no consequence to this, particularly.  And I've
been willing to deal with the argumentative replies (I've got 4 girls,
I'm definitely an expert on them, even if I don't really understand
them!) and this might be considered consistent with an 8th grader.  To a
point.  And a very thin point at that.  My concerns are based on the
last post by them mentioning two things that had no bearing on the
subject at hand (and when my mind shouted Troll at me.) The writing of
the book an the mention of the hot girlfriend.

Something about that strikes me funny for some reason.  It sounds
forced. (My opinion only.)

> I'd suggest we try to be alert and respectful and try to help as best we
> can until there is evidence that Anna is not real -- at least those who
> have the patience to make sense of her postings. <preach>Everyone here
> knows that I am prone to become exasperated sometimes :) Learn from that
> and drop out of the thread before it becomes too much for your </preach>
>
> Regards

In one of my previous posts I mentioned that I had written a really long
reply and scrapped it because I felt I was wasting my breath and
bandwidth on a troll.

However, in the spirit of cooperation, I'm willing to post part of the
edited reply.

Anna, my boss is fluent in German, he graduated from the University of
Bonn and lived there 3 years.  If you would like, send me (or the list)
a very detailed (and I mean VERY) account of what you want to do in
German, I'll get him to translate and post it to the list.

This is your best chance (IMHO) to prove you aren't a troll.  Please,
let us help you.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support