fdisk/gparted Bug

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Oct 29 11:59:14 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>

>> Rashkae wrote:

>>> Is the installer maybe shrinking the existing extended partition so it
>>> doesn't extend past the space used by the partitions within it?
>>>
>>> Either way, I seriously doubt your conclusion.
>>>

> <tag/>
>

>> Unless you KNOW the Installer (what ever that is) is shrinking the
>> extended partition then the Bug is on the installer.
>> Do you know what that is?
>>

> Where would you file a bug?  I don't think you know enough to be able to
> file a bug yet.  How can you even be sure there's a bug?  Is there any
> reason unallocated space beyond the end of the last used logical partition
> should be allocated inside the extended partition?  Are you certain you
> wrote the partition table after you modified the partition, last time?  Do
> fdisk, sfdisk, cfdisk all show the same values as parted?

    This morning I used the Invincible LiveCD and gparted showed me the
hard drive partition table is fine. The is 101 GB of free space. But
back in Hardy "fdisk" shows this:

/dev/sda1   *           1         974     7823623+  83  Linux
/dev/sda2             975        1948     7823655   83  Linux
/dev/sda3            1949        2192     1959930   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda4            2193        6206    32242455    5  Extended
/dev/sda5            2193        4625    19543041   83  Linux
/dev/sda6            4626        5598     7815591   83  Linux
/dev/sda7            5599        6206     4883728+  83  Linux

    So it appears there is a problem with the "fdisk" picture of the
hard drive partitions.

    So it appears that gparted is fine but "fdisk" has a problem.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User