Removing startup scripts

John Hubbard ender8282 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 29 00:31:30 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
> John Hubbard wrote:
>

>> I poked around in /etc/rc5.d/ and saw that I had a few processes that
>> were loading that I didn't need.  For example kvm was loading and I use
>> Virtual Box.  So I figured I could remove some of the things I didn't
>> need.  I did an apt-get remove kvm.  I haven't rebooted yet but I still
>> see "S20kvm" in /etc/rc5.d/.  Is it safe to just remove these scripts?
>> Is there an easy way to remove them from all run levels?  Shouldn't
>> removing a package remove the associated init script?
>>

> Er...  You know the default run level in Debian/Ubuntu has always been
> runlevel 2, don't you?
>
> Removing a package probably should remove the scripts but my experience is
> that few, if any, do.

Good to know, and no I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the heads up. I
am poking around trying to see if I can get my boot time closer to this:
http://lwn.net/Articles/299483/
I don't think I know enough to be really successful but worst case I end
up with a machine that I can't boot.

-john

                2b || !2b
(0b10)*(0b1100010) || !(0b10)*(0b1100010)
        0b11000100 || !0b11000100
        0b11000100 || 0b00111011
               0b11111111
        255, that is the answer.