Backup tool for home computer

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Tue Oct 28 18:13:06 UTC 2008

Bo Grimes wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 05:47:18PM +0100, Chris Bia wrote:
>
>> sometimes a little bit of RTFM is Good....
>
> Well to be fair, it wasn't very straight forward (the sbackup install, that
> is.)  I am using Linux Mint which comes with a neat back-up tool
> (mintBackup), but I don't like to use many distro specific tools because I
> never know how long I'll be using a distro.

A lot of things aren't. I installed motion to capture movement from 2
USB cams I have on a Linux system. Apparently when I installed it, it
added an init script in /etc/init, and it also "cycles" the process
because I came up with 2 custom config files (as I found online for
motion setup) and ran 2 instances from a command line.

I checked a couple days later, and a single process was running; it
looked like the default from /etc/init.d had re-executed and killed the
2 I had running.

I don't know the "proper" way to turn off that init script, and I didn't
see it labeled specifically for Ubuntu that this was what it was going
to do. I can't find a service to disable in the administration->services.

RTFM is great when the FM is consistent :-)

I suppose I could remove the init script in /etc/init.d but I don't know
if this is the "ubuntu way" or not. I'd rather not hack and slash my
configuration...still can't find the proper FM for that situation.