Should I add this Repo?

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 28 15:47:04 UTC 2008

--- On Tue, 10/28/08, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> From: Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca>
> Subject: Re: Should I add this Repo?
> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 9:33 AM
> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>
> > If something gets broken on my Hardy 64 bit,
> I'll let you and the list
> > know. Don't know where you came up with
> --force-overwrite.
>
> I said "most common" - I could even be wrong
> about that, but it's a pretty
> safe bet
>
> > My posts mentioned --force-architecture
>
> No, you didn't actually say that... at least not in
> this branch of this
> thread.

Well. I don't do threads so can't comment on that but it was added shortly afer my original post where I just said --force and didn't remember the rest.

> > and I explained why it was needed.
>
> > What do
> > you Ubuntu gurus have against Brother and there great
> support for both
> > Linux and Ubuntu of am I missing something.
>
> I don't have _anything_ against Brother - I merely
> pointed out (I'm certain,
> correctly) that requiring a --force option to do an install
> is sloppy and
> potentially hazardous.  The fact that it _does_ break
> things doesn't mean
> that you're guaranteed to have problems, but you want
> to think at least
> three or four times before you do it.

Ok, I'll buy that as I don't really have the experience to refute it.

> > I still think Brother has great Linux/Ubuntu support
>
> You said it was "the best" Linux support.  Given
> that HP actually
> open-sources its printer support, and it's available in
> the Ubuntu repos, I
> just have a little doubt about that claim.  If you indulge
> in hyperbole,
> expect people to call you on it.
> --
Hyperbole? Perhaps slightly exagerated but I'll let NoOp's comments about Brother's support for Linux stand.  He said it much better than I could.

Speaking of HP and Brothers lack of  having drivers in Ubuntu distros, aptitude search brother shows on my Hardy 64 bit the following:
p   brother-cups-wrapper-ac                                             - Cups Wrapper drivers for ac brother printers
p   brother-cups-wrapper-bh7                                            - Cups Wrapper drivers for bh7 brother printers
p   brother-cups-wrapper-common                                         - Common files for Brother cups wrapper packages
p   brother-cups-wrapper-extra                                          - Cups Wrapper drivers for extra brother printers
p   brother-cups-wrapper-laser                                          - Cups Wrapper drivers for laser brother printers
p   brother-cups-wrapper-laser1                                         - Cups Wrapper drivers for laser1 brother printers
p   brother-cups-wrapper-mfc9420cn                                      - Cups Wrapper drivers for mfc9420cn brother printers
p   brother-lpr-drivers-ac                                              - LPR drivers for ac brother printers
p   brother-lpr-drivers-bh7                                             - LPR drivers for bh7 brother printers
p   brother-lpr-drivers-common                                          - Common files for brother-lpr-drivers packages
p   brother-lpr-drivers-extra                                           - LPR drivers for extra brother printers
p   brother-lpr-drivers-laser                                           - LPR drivers for laser brother printers
p   brother-lpr-drivers-laser1                                          - LPR drivers for laser1 brother printers
p   brother-lpr-drivers-mfc9420cn
They were not automatically installed as mentioned before but they are brother driver files are the not? Or is this more hyperbole?
BTW, when I said *best* it was my opinion not necessarily a statement of fact although I believe it is. Not necessarily as support for Ubuntu or any distro but from the standpoint of helping the user get their Brother printer working they are better than any other printer manufacturer and that's what I hope to pass on to any other user having need of a printer for a Linux system. By definition, better than any other is the *best*.
I conceed to you, Mario and the others who replied that there is inherent dangers in using the --force-??? option which I wasn't initially aware of. Perhaps that will let us all come away with some satisfaction that we made out point.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net