Multistation OS

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Mon Oct 27 18:24:44 UTC 2008

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Rashkae wrote:
>> Mark Haney wrote:

>>> I fail to see how this is different from a thin-client solution.  At
>>> least in it's basic elements. You are still using a single machine to
>>> provide desktops to other systems.  They claim:
>>>

>> This is completely different.  (And maybe better)
>>
>> A traditional thin client solution would still require some kind of
>> computer at each station, even if that 'computer' is simply running some
>> built in X client.
>>
>> This multi-station is just a way of connecting multiple monitors,
>> keyboards and mice to 1 computer.
>>

>> In my experience, given the sheer volume of old discarded computers, a
>> school can much more cheaply build a lab of thin clients consisting
>> mostly of used computers that would otherwise be de-comishioned.
>>
>> The multi-station idea, however, will likely be less expensive on the
>> electricity bill.
>>

>     I wonder if the thin solution comes about due to savings on the
> number of Windows packages. If you pay only for the one computer and
> then let 10 children use it with thin devises that is a big savings in cost.

Not true.  Microsoft can (and will) charge you license fees for multiple
use in that case.  So it's not a savings at all.

>     With Linux there is no such cost so thick solutions work fine since
> the operating system is free. In large quantities a new computer can be
> had for around $300.00. I think it is the best solution.

Again, no.  You have to understand that Linux IS more stable, and it is
cheap, but it also requires a higher level of knowledge to properly
administer and manage them.  Your typical school tech person can barely
manage a windows setup, much less debugging a linux problem.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support