Partition problem

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sat Oct 25 16:06:12 UTC 2008

Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Saturday 25 October 2008 15:14, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> Karl Larsen wrote:

>>>     It was tried with parted and it didn't work on an Extended
>>> partition. I will try working from a CD and see if that changes anything.
>>>
>>> Karl
>>>
>>     I just tried parted on the Hardy liveCD and it works exactly like it
>> did on this Hardy on my hard drive.
>>
>> Karl
>>

> Hello Karl. What's it like down in New Mexico today? It's nearly 5pm in
> Northern France, but I suppose it's still morning there.
>
> Anyway. Meanwhile, and back to the ranch. How about downloading, and burning
> the iso for the Gparted Live CD. Link below.
> http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
>
> I havn't tried it for resizing an extended partition, but it certainly worked
> for resizing an NTFS partition, where other partitioning tools failed.
>
> All the best.
>
> Nigel.

    Well Nigel it is really bad now. I tried to re-make a Extended
partition with fdisk and failed. When I delete /dev/sda4 which was a
Extended partition I can delete it and make the proper new one size wise
which is a linux partition. I then use t to change the type to Extended
which is 5 and this happens:

Command (m for help): t
Partition number (1-4): 4
Hex code (type L to list codes): 5
You cannot change a partition into an extended one or vice versa
Delete it first.

    Great advice but no way to do it :-)

Karl

--