Partition problem

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Sat Oct 25 15:36:10 UTC 2008

On Saturday 25 October 2008 15:14, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
> > Nils Kassube wrote:
> >>
> >> I think you missed the problem. The extended partition doesn't use the
> >> space of the disk to the end. Therefore there is no need to shrink
> >> existing partitions. If you look at the fdisk output it says there are
> >> 19457 cylinders while the extended partition ends at 5598. Therefore I
> >> think it would be sufficient to only resize the extended partition. Then
> >> there should be plenty of space for new logical partitions. I suppose
> >> that can be done with fdisk, but as I am not sure (and I don't have a
> >> spare disk to test it), I can't advise doing it.
> >>

> >> Nils
> >
> >     It was tried with parted and it didn't work on an Extended
> > partition. I will try working from a CD and see if that changes anything.
> >
> > Karl
>
>     I just tried parted on the Hardy liveCD and it works exactly like it
> did on this Hardy on my hard drive.
>
> Karl

Hello Karl. What's it like down in New Mexico today? It's nearly 5pm in
Northern France, but I suppose it's still morning there.

Anyway. Meanwhile, and back to the ranch. How about downloading, and burning
the iso for the Gparted Live CD. Link below.
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

I havn't tried it for resizing an extended partition, but it certainly worked
for resizing an NTFS partition, where other partitioning tools failed.

All the best.

Nigel.