Upgrade to 8.04 and now Xgl is using 95% of CPU

Abhinav Gupta abhinav.g90 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 17:40:19 UTC 2008

First remove XGL
sudo apt-get remove xserver-xgl
And then follow installation guide on
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Hardy_Installation_Guide
I went for the "Method 2: Manual Install". Works perfectly for me. Though
they seem to have changed it. Was something else a few days ago.

I made a small shell script that will remove xgl and install the requested
ATI drivers after downloading them.
http://paste2.org/p/91746
Get the code, save as "ati-installer" on your desktop.
Then
chmod +x ati-installer
sudo ati-installer 8.9 -xgl
This will download the ATI drivers version 8.9, remove XGL and install new
drivers.
Warning : Use the script at your own risk. I made it for personal use. If
you don't think you can trust the script, just follow the instructions on
the link I sent. :)

And a suggestion - go for a fresh install. I mean instead of upgrading,
fresh installs (format and install) are somehow better as with each new
release, there are a lot of changes that are made. This won't make much of a
difference I guess, but just my preference.

Abhinav Gupta