Vacation reply

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Thu Oct 23 18:49:30 UTC 2008

CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:

> He must have subscribed, just like you or me. Think about it. This list
> is a juicy target for spammers because by sending one email to the list
> from a disposable Hotmail account, they can spam thousands of people
> repeatedly until the list administrators clue in and ban him. To make
> matters worse, people who are too lazy to trim posts properly end up
> unwittingly helping the spammer by quoting the original spam in its
> entirety in their responses to the list. For the spammer, it's the gift
> that keeps on giving.

Not really, since I'd think that you'd have to be a total f-wit to think
that subscribing and sending SPAM to a list of mostly technical people
will yield many customers.

Most of the hits this scumbag will see on his site because of this stunt
will be people working to track down a real-life address or other
information on him (or her).