static wireless network

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Wed Oct 22 18:00:27 UTC 2008

John Hubbard wrote:

>> Edit the wireless interface (mine is wlan0, but yours might be
>> different) and add (or edit) ONBOOT=YES.
> In /etc/network/interfaces? I have found a lot of references to ifcfg-*
> but I can't find those files anywhere. Do Debian based system use them?
>> That /should/ bring up the
>> interface on boot.
>>
> But where do I add the line about what the wireless key is? Or is that
> automagically saved for me?

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/ubuntu-networking-configuration-using-command-line.html

Take a look at that, it'll give you most of what you need. I rarely keep
my Wireless keys in a configuration file for security reasons, but
there's not reason why you shouldn't.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support