Back port to base kernel in Ubuntu 8.04

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Wed Oct 22 13:11:01 UTC 2008

Ashish Vijaywargiya wrote:
> I would like to do all the software (including kernel) back porting.
> How can I do that ?

I'm not sure what you mean with "back porting". If you mean you want to
use a previous kernel instead of the one from the latest update, then you
should boot to the kernel you want to use and then remove the kernels you
don't want to use (e.g. with synaptic). Another option would be to copy
the entry or the wanted kernel in front of the automagic kernel list of
the file "/boot/grub/menu.lst".

However if you want to go back to a previous Ubuntu version, I don't think
there is an easy way to do it.

Nils