Back port to base kernel in Ubuntu 8.04

Ashish Vijaywargiya vijaywargiya.ashish at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 12:39:35 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 5:41 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
> Ashish Vijaywargiya wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to back port to the base kernel that comes with the
>> default Ubuntu 8.04.
>> How can I remove the three latest kernel from my machine that I got
>> while doing update of Ubuntu ?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any help.
>> --
>> Ashish Vijaywargiya
>> Indore (M.P), India
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indore
>>

>    I have this still on my /boot/grub/menu.lst
>
> title        Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic
> root        (hd0,5)
> kernel        /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic
> root=UUID=8713c541-dffa-4fd2-b22b-e600afacbab2 ro quiet splash
> initrd        /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic
> quiet
>
> I think 2.6.24-16 was what I got when I loaded Hardy. It is still on my
> computer and I can boot using that kernel right now if desired. See if
> you have the same.
>
> Then if you do not want to use the new kernels you can delete them from
> the file menu.lst and even delete the kernel packages.
>
> Karl

The problem that I am facing with new kernel is that it is not
supporting the wireless devices.
My wireless card was working fine with the Base kernel that comes with
Ubuntu 8.04.

So when I took update it has also installed iwl wireless packages that
were installed with the latest kernel.
The option that you are saying also present on my machine.
But my wireless card don't work when I start my machine with the Base Kernel.

I would like to do all the software (including kernel) back porting.
How can I do that ?

Thanks for any help.

-- Ashish