movies plays in slow motion [and dvd playback]

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Wed Oct 22 05:45:00 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 15:30 -0700, Cesar Augusto Suarez wrote:
> Hi.
> i have ubuntu hardy and its already updated,i have the codecs for view
> movies in my computer. however,i have a problem: when i try to play
> any movie, it plays in step by step, like in slow camera.
> if  i watch the same movie in Windows,it plays in normal speed.
> in my ubuntu, it doesn matter which app i use to watch the
> movie,always is the same.

I believe this is a known issue. I have seen it a few times on my
laptop, too (using the fgrlx driver for ATi card). However, in my case
it happened only with totem(-gstreamer).

There exist at least the following bug reports for this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/221488
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/totem/+bug/210760

> and my other problem,is that i cant play dvd movies.
> it recognizes that is a dvdv movie,but it cant play  it

1. Which application do you use? The default is Totem, which
unfortunately does not support DVD menus (this will be added in
Intrepid, AFAICT). I recommend VLC instead

2. I suppose you are talking about commercial, encrypted DVDs. Did you
install the libdvdcss2 package as per this page?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs