Novice (aka beginner) Ubuntu user

Kirk Batzer kbatzer at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 20 21:08:51 UTC 2008

It's probably NOT the CD.  I've had the same problem.  The problem may have
something to do with your disk, or the disk partitions, a boot loader or  or
if you have SATA drives, they are not supported very well, if at all

I've had Many many problems attempting to install ubuntu with NO success.

I have a new PC with an ASUS P5Q Delux motherboard. SATA drives.   I just
upgraded the BIOS to 1406, dated 10/8.

I'm Trying to install Ubuntu 8.04 desktop 64 bit.

On a new machine with new disks, I initially installed Windows server 2003.
In the  BIOS I configured all Storage as five IDE Standard drives. I'm using
750 GB SATA drives.

After Windows was installed. I then attempted to trial ubuntu.  After reboot
and started reading the Ubuntu CD. It asks if I want to install or Trial
Ubuntu.  I select Trial. Then ubuntu goes to busybox!!!!!!  I'm stuck.

When I try again and this time I try a new install,  I'll just blow away the
Windows install, from the CD It asked the same question, Trial or Install.
It then it goes to Busybox.

When I try anything from the CD, When it asked Trial, Install, install
options Chedck CD etc....  it goes to Busybox.

Then I tried to run Unbunto from withing my Windows Server 2003 installaion.
I  rebooted to Windows and downloaded wubi to try ubuntu from within
Windows. As I ran wubi from within windows. I put the ubuntu CD in the CD
drive. WUBI asked for a partition to use and I allocated space. Then It
started reading the CD. Everything looked fine.  It performed a checksum,
read the CD and then loaded from the CD. It gave stats as to the completion
5% 20% etc. At the very end at 100% I got the message it couldn't read the
CD any more and quit.

I tried another download of WUBI and another burn of the CD.  Everything was
the same.

Then I tried installing Ubuntu with all fresh (blank) disks with not
partitions yet I get further, It sees the disks and copies the files to the
disk.  Then As it completes I see a message indicating disk access faikled.
Then the screen quickly goes to a message asking me to remove the CD and
reboot.  Upon reboot. There is nothing on the disk.

The hell with ubuntu