Bug ?? .Xauthority modified by a remote connection !

xavier droubay dxavsourd-lxbx at yahoo.fr
Thu Oct 16 21:39:49 UTC 2008

Hello,

I usually use "ssh -X" while connecting but sometimes it is too long.
So I have just tryed
to use `xrsh' utility in order to have an uncrypted (and thus speed)
connection.
between two boxes on a same lan : a debian (testing) box and an ubuntu
(medibuntu
hardy heron) box.

While I try to connect with from debian box to ubuntu, the .Xauthority
file of the user

Here is my list before trying a connection from debian box

demo at demostudio $ xauth list
localhost.localdomain/unix:0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
obelix.local/unix:0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
obelix.local:0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
demostudio/unix:0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
demo at demostudio $

Using the following command on debian box, I get
nonon at obelix $ DISPLAY=demostudio.comete:0 xrsh -debug -l demo -auth
xauth demostudio.comete
demo at demostudio.comete's password:
Executing "xterm -name xterm-demostudio -title 'xterm at demostudio' " on
demostudio.comete with DISPLAY=:0
demo at demostudio.comete's password:
No protocol specified
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: :0
nonon at obelix $

And that command deletes the entry that is need for display !! Indeed
going back to ubuntu box, that is
"demostudio/unix:0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY"

demo at demostudio $ xauth list
localhost.localdomain/unix:0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
obelix.local/unix:0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
obelix.local:0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
demo at demostudio $

Even local display becomes impossible.

I can provide more info of my ubuntu box if needed.