Restore latest kernel

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 16 20:12:22 UTC 2008

On 10/16/2008 10:40 AM, Mike Adolf wrote:
> This morning I ran the latest Ubuntu update.  It installed a new kernel
> 2.6.24.21.  I rebooted and all was well.  Then I installed my new pctv
> 800i tuner card. To do so, according mythtv wiki, I first extracted
> firmware from a windows file and placed it into
> /lib/firmware/2.4.24.21-generic, I downloaded the latest v4l driver
> tree, did a make and make install. This is supposed to overwrite kernel
> drivers. When I tried to reboot modprob failed.  It also failed in
> recovery mode.
>
> Can I some how remove the corrupt 2.4.24.21 kernel, so that auto update
> reinstalls it? I an new booted into 2.4.24.19.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Yes. Boot into 19 then open Synaptic (System|Adminstration|Synaptic) and
search '2.6.24-21'. The click the 'S' column and the installed packages
will sort to the top. You'll find 'linux-headers-2.6.24-21' etc. Select
all of them and right click and "Mark for Reinstallation' and then click
the Apply button.

This will reinstall and update your grub menu etc all at the same time.

Alternately, you can "Mark for complete removal" and then use the
terminal to:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

to pull them back in.