Restore latest kernel

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Thu Oct 16 17:47:55 UTC 2008

Mike Adolf wrote:
> This morning I ran the latest Ubuntu update.  It installed a new kernel
> 2.6.24.21.  I rebooted and all was well.  Then I installed my new pctv
> 800i tuner card. To do so, according mythtv wiki, I first extracted
> firmware from a windows file and placed it into
> /lib/firmware/2.4.24.21-generic, I downloaded the latest v4l driver
> tree, did a make and make install. This is supposed to overwrite kernel
> drivers. When I tried to reboot modprob failed.  It also failed in
> recovery mode.
>
> Can I some how remove the corrupt 2.4.24.21 kernel, so that auto update
> reinstalls it? I an new booted into 2.4.24.19.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Okay, why do you think the kernel is corrupt?  Can you not boot into
that kernel at all? It sounds like you can.  Let's try to backtrack to
what the problem is before we go about re-installing a kernel.  If
there's a module that won't load (or is loading and bombing, we can
remove the module listing so it doesn't get autoloaded.  That's quicker
and easier.

What are the errors you're seeing?

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support