Skype over bluetooth? (yes, I have googled!)

Verde Denim tdldev at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 13:33:54 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 4:07 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/10/15 H.S. <hs.samix at gmail.com>:
> > Dotan Cohen wrote:
> headset.

> >> hardy2 at hardy2-laptop:~$ arecord -l
> >> **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
> >> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
> >>   Subdevices: 1/1
> >>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> >> card 1: Headset [BT Headset], device 0: Bluetooth SCO PCM [BT SCO PCM]
> >>   Subdevices: 1/1
> >>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> >> hardy2 at hardy2-laptop:~$
> >>

> >> However, no sound is recorded with "arecord -D bluetooth -f s16_LE
> >
> > Are you positive that the bluetooth mic volume is turned up or is not
> muted?
> >
> > To see its controls, either use a gui you normally use, or in a terminal
> do:
> > $> alsamixer -D <device>
> >
> > where <device> is your bluetooth device.
> >

> Interesting:
> hardy2 at hardy2-laptop:~$ alsamixer -D bluetooth
> ALSA lib control.c:909:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL bluetooth
>
> alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for bluetooth: No such file or
> directory
> hardy2 at hardy2-laptop:~$
>
> > You should get ncurses based volume controls (vertical bars). Use
> > left/right arrow keys to shift between controls and up/down keys to
> > change their level. "M" toggles mute state. man alsamixer for more
> details.
> >
> > Once you can get that recording working, only then you should try making
> > skype work (most likely then skype will work without any problems).
> >

> Any ideas about what to do from this stage? "bluetooth" is the correct
> device:
> hardy2 at hardy2-laptop:~$ cat .asoundrc
> pcm.bluetooth {
>  type bluetooth
>  device 00:21:67:80:02:5E
>  profile "auto"
> }hardy2 at hardy2-laptop:~$
>
> And "aplay -D bluetooth -f S16_LE test.wav" works.

Hi, Have you tried supplying a complete path to alsamixer for the device?
I've had that issue once or twice. It also sounds possible that alsamixer
may not want to play well with bluetooth drivers. I don't have an
alternative for you at the moment, but I'm looking into this for myself as
well, so as I find updates I'll keep you informed...

Regards,
Jack