Skype over bluetooth? (yes, I have googled!)

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 08:07:00 UTC 2008

2008/10/15 H.S. <hs.samix at gmail.com>:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>>
>>> The corresponding action for input devices is "arecord -l".
>>>

>> hardy2 at hardy2-laptop:~$ arecord -l
>> **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
>> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
>>   Subdevices: 1/1
>>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>> card 1: Headset [BT Headset], device 0: Bluetooth SCO PCM [BT SCO PCM]
>>   Subdevices: 1/1
>>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>> hardy2 at hardy2-laptop:~$
>>

>> However, no sound is recorded with "arecord -D bluetooth -f s16_LE
>
> Are you positive that the bluetooth mic volume is turned up or is not muted?
>
> To see its controls, either use a gui you normally use, or in a terminal do:
> $> alsamixer -D <device>
>
> where <device> is your bluetooth device.

Interesting:
hardy2 at hardy2-laptop:~$ alsamixer -D bluetooth
ALSA lib control.c:909:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL bluetooth

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for bluetooth: No such file or directory
hardy2 at hardy2-laptop:~$

> You should get ncurses based volume controls (vertical bars). Use
> left/right arrow keys to shift between controls and up/down keys to
> change their level. "M" toggles mute state. man alsamixer for more details.
>
> Once you can get that recording working, only then you should try making
> skype work (most likely then skype will work without any problems).

Any ideas about what to do from this stage? "bluetooth" is the correct device:
hardy2 at hardy2-laptop:~$ cat .asoundrc
pcm.bluetooth {
  type bluetooth
  device 00:21:67:80:02:5E
  profile "auto"
}hardy2 at hardy2-laptop:~$

And "aplay -D bluetooth -f S16_LE test.wav" works.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il