Changing desktop

Gilles Gravier gilles at gravier.org
Thu Oct 16 04:59:53 UTC 2008

Ken,

Ken McLennan wrote:
> G'day there One & All,
>
>     I'm currently using the Hardy version of Xubuntu, quite happily
> fulfilling all my requirements (although it doesn't yet make coffee
> the way I'd like), but for various reasons I'd like to change back to
> the standard Gnome version.
>
>     I know I can use Synaptic to install ubuntu-desktop, but I was
> just wondering what may happen if I do so. I assume that I'll get both
> of them installed and can then select via the login menu, but is there
> anything that will break or get stuck with xfce libraries when I need
> Gnome, or vice versa? I'd prefer to keep a running system than try to
> fault find, and I have no inclination at all to reformat and install
> clean. Has anyone done this? or can confirm that I won't spend the
> next week cursing and swearing?

They all coexist.

At your graphical login prompt (which you can configure to be GDM, or
another) you will have an option to select what "Session" you want to
boot. If you do nothing, you boot the previous session (i.e. if you had
previously booted GNOME, you use GNOME again)... Which lets you change
sessions... and at next boot, you can revert by selecting whatever you
initially had... or stick with the new session if you prefer that one.

Gilles.