Vista Backup and Ubuntu Samba

Michael Dunigan MDunigan62 at aim.com
Wed Oct 15 03:11:14 UTC 2008

                I am trying to use a share created on an Ubuntu server
(v8.04.1) as a backup target for my work Vista laptop.  To make things more
complex, the share maps to a directory in the file system that is on an
external drive and the file system on the external drive is FAT32.  Sorry, I
do have reasons for this complex combination, and I understand that this
might be the reason all is not working.

When I try to use Vista Complete PC Backup, it gives me an error message
that I searched down with Google and it told me that I did not have "Full
Control" of the file space.  The error says that this is a common problem
with "Samba based" NAS units.  (Error 0x800700B7)

                I know that most of this is Microsoft saying that if I had a
Windows server this would not be a problem, but does anyone have an idea how
to get this to work.  I have to have the Vista box to do my work, so I would
like to use the Samba share to back it up.  If the problem is just the
complexity that I have introduced, I am just looking for confirmation that
simplifying the setup is what I need to do.  I am hoping that someone out
there has gotten this to work and can give me some pointers.

MDunigan62 at aim dot com

(517) 546-4775

Electronic Mail is not secure, may not be read every day, and should not be
used for urgent or sensitive issues.