dpkg-reconfigure not doing what I remember

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com
Tue Oct 14 18:18:04 UTC 2008

Chris G wrote:
> But the problem is that Xorg *doesn't* always get the available
> resolutions right, nor does it always default to a sensible resolution
> even if it does detect all resolutions correctly.

I often experience weird screen resolution issues with Kubuntu 7.10 and
8.04.1 on various graphics chipsets and monitors, particularly if the
machine was not shut down cleanly. The KDM login screen will pan and
usually (but not all the time) if I log in while it's misbehaving like
that, the desktop resolution will also be wrong and it may or may not
respond to changes in the System Preferences control panel. If it does
not, I'll exit the session and get to KDM. Usually, after I hit
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, the KDM resolution and subsequently, the desktop
resolution after login will be corrected. Sometimes I have to resort to
rebooting the machine in recovery mode and running "xfix". It's
mysterious, fiddly, and really quite annoying.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis