Why does Xorg choose this resolution?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Tue Oct 14 14:52:39 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 02:48:48PM +0200, Florian Diesch wrote:
> Chris G <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
>

> > Not any more, that's the whole prolem!!
> >
> > The *whole* of my xorg.conf file as generate by Ubuntu 8.10
> > installation is:-
> >
> >     Section "Device"
> >             Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
> >     EndSection
> >
> >     Section "Monitor"
> >             Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
> >     EndSection
> >
> >     Section "Screen"
> >             Identifier      "Default Screen"
> >             Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
> >             Device          "Configured Video Device"
> >     EndSection
> >
> > Xorg now generates the actual settings 'on the fly' each time it's
> > started up.  If it gets the right resolution then that's fine but it's
> > a bit of a nuisance (as in my case) if it gets it wrong.
>
> You can still edit xorg.conf, you just don't *have* to if the defaults
> work for you.

... but my changes will likely get overwritten when doing upgrades I
suspect.   It's also a bit of an arcane art adding settings to
xorg.conf.

It turns out that the change I've done to get 1600x1200 by default
*only* works with the D-Sub output, change to using the DVI-D output
and I'm back to 1152x864.

--
Chris Green