Why does Xorg choose this resolution?

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Tue Oct 14 14:07:19 UTC 2008

Florian Diesch wrote:

> You can still edit xorg.conf, you just don't *have* to if the defaults
> work for you.

But here's the devil in the details..

Since in their 'wisdom' Ubuntu devs removed the dpgk configuration
scripts that created those sections for you, users are left at the mercy
of displayconfig.  Almost all threads I've seen that require this also
need some further hand editing of the file to get the desired result......

Ugly.. very very ugly.

I wonder is someone with more time and knowledge than me would be able
to somehow port the scripts that dpgk-reconfigure in debian uses, as a
fall back for the times auto-detection is unsatisfactory?