kde4.1 desktop changes to gnome desktop in hardy 64 bit

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 13 14:40:07 UTC 2008

Until recently when I start X on boot up or just restart X with the kde4 desktop the normal kde4.1 desktop(blue not orange) background would appear and stay put.  Now, the normal kde4 back ground starts and stays in place while konsole is loaded but as soon as firefox 3.03 begins to load the desktop background changes to the ugly gnome Hardy Heron(sorry gnome users; just my opinion) with orange color.  Nothing I've tried will change it back except temporarily by rebooting or restarting X. Another aggravation that occurred in the same time frame is the widget "show desktop" icon quit working. Have removed/installed the widget several times but it wont work no more.
Anyone seen these effects or know a solution? Googling on the subject didn't pick up anything related at least through the first page of listings.
TIA

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net