Wireless device (Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG) not working on Ubuntu LTS 8.04

Raseel Bhagat raseelbhagat at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 06:25:35 UTC 2008

Hi Ashish,

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 9:48 AM, Ashish Vijaywargiya <
vijaywargiya.ashish at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Raseel for your comments.
> Please see my comments inline :-
>
> On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 5:17 PM, Raseel Bhagat <raseelbhagat at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 3:39 PM, Ashish Vijaywargiya
> > <vijaywargiya.ashish at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Initially when I installed Ubuntu LTS 8.04 before 1 week on my laptop
> >> then everything was working fine related to Wireless device.
> >> I was able to access the internet via my Wireless network card.
> >> But after that I took the update of Ubuntu now I am not able to join
> >> the Wireless network device.
>
> Can you share me the steps for back porting to the old driver ?

Ok, firtly, I think I made a mistake. The URL should have been  :
 http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download
since this is where the fix for this issue is.

Basically, there was a new mac80211 module introduced in the stock kernel
from 2.6.22 which probably has cause this issue.

Without getting too confused,  this is what you need to do :
- If your kernel is <=2.6.26 , download the source from  :
http://wireless.kernel.org/download/compat-wireless-2.6/compat-wireless-old.tar.bz2

and if you have kernel >= 2.6.26, download from :
http://wireless.kernel.org/download/compat-wireless-2.6/compat-wireless-2.6.tar.bz2

The instructions for installing this are on the same page.

Thanks,
Raseel.