Network problem

Erik Christiansen dvalin at internode.on.net
Thu Oct 9 07:27:22 UTC 2008

On Sun, Oct 05, 2008 at 01:09:59PM +0800, 黄文圃 wrote:
> I am now dual booting Ubuntu8.04 and Windows2000.
> A period of time ago I could access the Internet using Ubuntu. But
> suddenly I lost the connection.

OK, your interface is UP and RUNNING. Though M$ can reach the gateway,
can your ubuntu ping 192.168.0.1? If so, what about the IP of the
gateway's other port? If so, any of your ISP's servers?

>            RX packets:94 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>            TX packets:42 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

Packets are coming and going, so it may be a route issue, as you appear
to suspect. A quick alternative to pinging is to try "traceroute
202.113.16.10", if you have it or quickly install it.

Has the machine been up a long time, with a "route add ..." done from
the command line? That wouldn't hold across reboots, obviously.

As a last resort, what's in /etc/network/interfaces?

Erik

--
Price's Advice:
        It's all a game -- play it to have fun.