What is the best option to open .docx, pptx files in Ubuntu LTS 8.04 ?

Hal Burgiss hal at burgiss.net
Wed Oct 8 23:51:39 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 04:25:48PM -0700, NoOp wrote:

> File a bug (please). In searching the LP OOo bug list for docx I only
> find one somewhat outdated & slightly odd bug report. See:

I guess its a known issue. Here is some snippets from launchpad:

docx support is not nearly complete yet, this problem should get
somewhat better in 8.04 (OpenOffice 2.3.1) and then hopefully much
better in 8.10 (OpenOffice 3.0.0).

[...]

Actually upstream openoffice doesn't support docx at all, the support
that is available is from ooo-build but once openoffice 3.0 is
released there will be upstream support for docx.

[...]

Oh, I am sorry, upstream means the official Sun OpenOffice.org.
ooo-build is a set patches that go-oo.org makes to the official Sun
version. Even once OpenOffice 3.0 is released it may not have full
support for docx, as it still has problems with older versions of
Microsoft formats as well. However, I meant that it is likely to be
better supported than it is currently since it will be officially
supported by Sun's OpenOffice at that point (3.0 release).

--
Hal