NetworkManager

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Oct 8 15:20:15 UTC 2008

Erik Christiansen wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 11:58:45AM -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
>>
>> LOL.  You didn't get a thing out of this thread, did you?  Network
>> Manager NEVER writes to /etc/resolv.conf.
>
> Derek, your advice is very frequently useful and generally more
> knowledgeable than my efforts. However, it is a mistake to assume to be
> omniscient.

Not omniscient, but I do understand how NM works.

> It was only when network-manager was removed, that the file overwrites
> ceased. Since it did the same on 2 or 3 reboots before I was
> sufficiently annoyed to slit its throat, the crime was sufficiently
> proven.

And when everytime the guard dog barks, you find something's been stolen, do
you believe the dog is the thief?  Network manager triggers dhclient, and
dhcdbd, but that doesn't mean that it's the culprit.

> There was however, more than circumstantial evidence. Here is
> one line in the file that I left for posterity:
>
> $ head -1 /etc/resolv.conf
> # generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!

That's the best evidence - except I can find no sign that Network manager
actually wrote that, and it's an absolute certainty that dhclient IS
writing that file.

--
derek