NetworkManager

Erik Christiansen dvalin at internode.on.net
Wed Oct 8 11:48:42 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 11:58:45AM -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:

> LOL.  You didn't get a thing out of this thread, did you?  Network Manager
> NEVER writes to /etc/resolv.conf.

Derek, your advice is very frequently useful and generally more
knowledgeable than my efforts. However, it is a mistake to assume to be
omniscient.

I waited for the thread to develop to a point where my actual experience
coincided sufficiently to be relevant. These are my notes from the time
when networkmanager repeatedly crapped on /etc/resolv.conf:

Debug: No mail on ADSL-connected new ubuntu 7.10 install on ratatosk.
Diagn: DNS maybe? /etc/nsswitch.conf had:
       hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns
Fix?:  hosts:          files dns
Also:  /etc/resolv.conf had crap: nameserver 192.168.1.254
Fix?:  Edited it to internode's primary & secondary servers,
       but NetworkManager changed it back on reboot.
       Mail came in with this work-around in place.
Fix:   sudo apt-get remove --purge network-manager

It was only when network-manager was removed, that the file overwrites
ceased. Since it did the same on 2 or 3 reboots before I was
sufficiently annoyed to slit its throat, the crime was sufficiently
proven. There was however, more than circumstantial evidence. Here is
one line in the file that I left for posterity:

$ head -1 /etc/resolv.conf
# generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!

No matter how wide our experience, Derek, it is not the whole world.
There is then, perhaps an opportunity for you to get something out of
this thread. (Even if it is only to never say NEVER. ;-))
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Erik

--
Certitude is not the test of certainty. We have been cocksure of many
things that were not so.      -- Oliver Wendell Homes Jr.