"Screen Resolution" setting - how is it supposed to work? is there any help?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Wed Oct 8 15:14:56 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 10:18:19AM -0400, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> Chris G wrote:
> > I'm very confused by the "Screen Resolution" application in
> > Preferences, when loaded it calls itself "Monitor Resolution Settings".
> >
> > First question, what does the "Mirror Screens" button do? Turning it
> > on just makes a blue box appear in the middle of the window with
> > "Unknown" written on it.  Turning it on also seems to reduce the
> > choices I'm presented with.
>
> On most systems mirroring is when you have two or more displays that all
> show the same thing.

Ah, yes, it's beginning to become clear.

> Otherwise you treat it as non-mirrored, a second desktop, where you can
> slide your pointer off one side and it appears on the other desktop. In
> that case you'd have a projector with your slideshow while you're
> looking at notes on your display.

What I hadn't realised was that one can drag the two 'screens' on the
display in the application window.  By default the "Unknown" one was
right on top of the "Dell" one which is the one I needed to set up.

> > Secondly what does "Detect Displays" do?
>
> Tried to automatically configure all connected display devices to proper
> refresh and resolution by detecting their model and capabilities so you
> don't have to guess.

I sort of guessed as much but it didn't appear to do anything, until I
uncovered the Dell 'window' that is.

> > Thirdly where's the Help?  When I click on Help I get nothing.
>
> Um...sorry, don't know that one.

:-)   If there had been some help I probably wouldn't have had to ask
any questions here.

--
Chris Green