New Problem with Movies

Neil hok.krat at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 11:07:53 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 7:15 AM, Kennneth P. Turvey
<kt-usenet at squeakydolphin.com> wrote:
> A few days ago playing video on my system was working fine.. as it has
> since my installation on this laptop a few months ago.
>
> Today, I can't play video with either totem or mplayer.  When the movie
> starts to play the entire screen becomes either black or gray and then
> nothing works...
>
> I think the movie is playing, but I can't see it.  I also can't get a
> good X session back by zapping X using ctrl-alt-backspace.  The only way
> I get video working again is by actually rebooting the laptop.
>
> I haven't made any updates to the system in the last few days, except for
> automated updates that may have come down.  Was X updated recently?  Was
> something else updated recently that would cause this?  Is anyone else
> having similar problems?
>
> I'm running Hardy on an Inspiron 1525 by Dell.
>
> Thanks.. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>

> --
> Kenneth P. Turvey <kt-usenet at squeakydolphin.com>
> http://www.electricsenator.net
>
>  One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly
>  making exciting discoveries.
>        -- A. A. Milne

Hi

We probably need some more information.
Open a console and type "mplayer -v "your movie file" >>
mplayererrors.txt" (replace "your movie file" with the exact path to
the file)
This'll create a file mplayererrors.txt in your home directory. Could
you post the contents of that text file?

Neil

--
There are three kinds of people: Those who can count, and those who cannot count