tracker

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 7 18:57:21 UTC 2008

On 10/07/2008 03:24 AM, norman wrote:
> Would some kind and knowledgeable person please tell me whether tracker
> is supposed to be of any use for an ordinary desktop user like me? If it
> is mainly of use for server users would it cause any problem if I were
> to remove it?
>
> Norman

Remove away. It's one of the first things that I do on any of my low
memory/cpu machines.

>From this machine:

~$ sudo apt-get remove tracker
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package tracker is not installed, so not removed

If you'd rather not go quite that far, you can:

1. Modify the tracker settings so that it is not so disruptive.
System|Preferences|Search and Indexing
2. Remove it from your Session settings
(System|Preferences|Sessions|Startup Programs) so that it doesn't start
when your session is opened.