Share an external hard disk on the network

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 15:28:53 UTC 2008

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 6:24 PM, Felipe DOMINGUEZ
<felipe.dominguez at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to share a hard disk on the network using samba.
>
> To share a directory on my local home is not a problem. I do it using the
> procedure at
>
> Share files and folders with other computers
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/internet/C/networking-shares.html
>
> and it works fine, but when I try to share an enter external disk I am told
> that I have not enough permissions since I do not own the mounted directory.

Hi Phillipe.   That proceedure is an end-user 'quick' way to share out
samba shares that you own.  It doesn't work in some cases, like yours.
  I'd suggest you instead alter the /etc/samba/smb.conf file manually
to share out your Trekstor drive.

There are lots of examples of setting it up this way like this one

Try that and let us know how you do.

Brian