Booting problem

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Tue Oct 7 11:55:38 UTC 2008

Keith Powell wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> Mark Haney wrote:

>>> I'm curious as to why the system boots fine without the XP drive
>>> connected if the drive itself is bad. If the Ubuntu drive is flaky, I
>>> should think it would be flaky no matter what else is connected to it.
>>>
>>> Hmm, how do you have your IDE drives setup?  Are the Master and slave,
>>> or 'Cable Select'?  I'm wondering if the Ubuntu drive is set to cable
>>> select and it's getting screwy when the kernel loads somehow.
>>>
>>> Personally, I ALWAYS manually set my IDE drives up. I never use Cable
>>> Select in any way.
>>>

>>     Excellent thought Mark. A bad HD setup when you have 2 of them can
>> sure cause his problems.
>>
>> Karl
>>

> Mark and Karl.
>
> I use jumper select with my drives, not cable select. They are
> definitely master and slave.
>
> Using my spare 40GB hard drive, Ubuntu works with both drives connected.
> So I have installed a couple of other distros on it (one at a time).
> Linuxmint only works if the XP drive is unplugged (BusyBox message
> again). Mandriva works with one or both connected.
>
> So I'm going to spend some time doing more tests, putting the main 250GB
> hard drive back in and trying Ubuntu again.
>
> I'll post the results.
>
> Cheers
>
> Keith

    OK Keith well your sure doing the Hard Drives (HD) properly. It
sounds to me like there is something wrong with the 250GB HD. Do this:

    With the spare HD installed look at your BIOS and see which HD is
shown as Master and Slave. Then replace with the 250GB HD and check BIOS
again. This HD should be exactly the same, master or slave of the temp HD.

    If it changes or looks odd it means the 250GB has a problem.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User