NetworkManager

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Sat Oct 4 23:23:16 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-10-04 at 13:44 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > BUT: I need to set up a domain search list. I have
> > edited /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf accordingly, and it is completely
> > ignored.
>
> Er, not by Network Manager.  I append a search list in dhclient.conf, and
> network manager neither cares nor knows about it - it just starts the DHCP
> lookup, what dhclient then does with the information is of no consequence
> to Network Manager.

After a complete reboot all worked as expected. I'm a bit puzzled by
that, because changing dhclient.conf DID work, but not until after a
reboot. IMHO a networking restart should have done the trick. I'm
putting that down to cosmic rays this time.

> > I tried selecting "manual configuration" and entering extra domains
> Again, not only does Network Manager not do that, once you've
> selected "manual configuration", afaik NM is no longer even managing that
> connection.

Well, I can now tell you that it does continue to manage the connection,
unless you enable the connection in the "manual configuration" dialogue.
If you don't enable the connection, however, and just make changes on
the DNS tab, then the changes you make are not only ignored, they are
reset to whatever NetworkManager thinks they should be. Which I suppose
is fair enough.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)                   +61-2-64957160 (h)

GPG fingerprint: DD23 0DF3 2260 3060 7FEC 5CA8 1AF6 D9E3 CFEE 6B28