How do I ensure I have gtk+ installed?

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Sat Oct 4 20:17:43 UTC 2008

Kipton Moravec wrote:
> A program I have requires gtk+ 2.4.x or later to recompile it.
>
> So to verify I typed:
>
> sudo apt-get install gtk+
>
> E: Couldn't find package gtk
>
> So what is the most current package called?
>
> I searched Synaptic Package manager for gtk+ and did not recognize it
> there either.

It will be called something like libgtk-2.0.  Though be aware, to
compile programs, you'll probably also need the -devel package.

(Don't worry about the .0 in the package name... that's just represents
the program interface,, the current version that gets installed with be
much higher than 2.4.  In gusty, for example, gtk is at version 2.12)