Working with .rar files

Preston Hagar prestonh at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 15:32:14 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 6:44 PM, Douglas Murray <murray.dw at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am new to Ubuntu and am not familiar with all of the tools.  What I need
> to do is to find the proper tool to handle .rar files.  I am used to WinRAR
> on XP which will properly assemble a series of r00 - rxx into a single file.

I use unrar for that exact functionality.  To install run:

sudo apt-get install unrar

or install unrar using synaptic

After installed, you can navigate to directory where your rar files
are, then run:

unrar e rarfile.r00

where rarfile.r00 is the first file in the sequence.  unrar will then
automatically find all of the other files and join them together into
one extracted file.  The e stands for extract.

Hope this helps.

Preston