RPM files

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Oct 3 14:32:04 UTC 2008

Paul O'Malley - gnu's not unix - wrote:

> Harold Hartley wrote:
>> I have gotten so use to downloading and installing APT files.
>> My question is can the same software we use in ubuntu to download which,
>> can I download and install a RPM file into ubuntu with synaptic app.
>>
>> Harold
>>

> ye bot on irc says this
>
> RPM is the RedHat Package Management system. Ubuntu uses !APT, not RPM.
> RPM packages are not supported (the package "alien" can allow installing
> them, but it's quite dangerous)

Talk about FUD...

> For those who say it worked for me, please be aware that one case of not
>   obviously breaking things, count yourselves lucky, you can trash your
> box if you should choose a program with strange enough requirements.

Of course you can - but there's a really simple solution to that.
Use "alien", create the .deb package, and do "dpkg --simulate -i PACKAGE".
If it wants to install libraries, worry.  If it doesn't, where's the harm?

Installing software via alien from rpms is _exactly_ as potentially
hazardous as installing any .deb from a non-Ubuntu source.  It should be
done with extreme care, but it can be done.

All that said, it's always better to try to get real Ubuntu packages.  They
usually exist.
--
derek