New system for ubuntu - recommended display hardware?

Young tuxman at knology.net
Fri Oct 3 03:41:18 UTC 2008

Chris G wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 01:35:33PM -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Chris G wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks, helpful.  Do Intel make display chips as well as everything
>>> else?  My current motherboard is mostly Intel and was pretty OK.
>> Absolutely.  X definitely supports the i910 - 945 range.  Anything with a
>> higher number might be a little too new (I don't even know if there's
>> anything higher).
>
> Thank you, that's something I can maybe saerch for and then fit other
> things around it.

My simple system with onboard Intel graphics (part of the G31 North
Bridge) runs the default graphics for Ubuntu. My display is a 22 inch
widescreen, 1680 x 1050, and it runs the wobbly windows just fine,
though I don't like it and keep the graphics set to the mid point. I
agree that Intel's chips are the easiest for Linux graphics.

I'm using the 64 bit version of Ubuntu.
--
This is the low cost Ubuntu system I recently built. Intel has just
changed it's pricing so a better CPU should be considered.

Pentium Dual Core E2200 2.2GHz ~ GigaByte GA-EG31M-S2 ~ 4GB DDR2 800