XML document editor

Verde Denim tdldev at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 21:31:12 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 5:07 PM, stan <stanb at panix.com> wrote:

> Let me start off this by saying that I probably don't even know enough to
> properly format the question.
>
> I have some software, for industrial control systems that generates export
> files in an XML format. I would like to be able to edit these files, such
> that I can for example replicate many copies of the same thing, each with
> slight changes that make it unique, In years past, this was done by
> exporting to an ASCII "flat file".
>
> I have been hearing about XML for a while, but not really paying attention.
> Now is the time I need to learn about this, it appears.
>
> So, is there such a thing as an XML file editor? What I think I mean by
> this is an editor that can open these files, and understand the properties
> that are defined in them, and allow me to manipulate these objects? Is this
> something Open Office can do? Or is there a better/different way of doing
> this?

Altova, Oxygen, and Cooktop (if you're in win) come to mind as far as
editors.
If you're very new to XML, look up the W3C Schools online - they have a
primer on XML that should get you started.
Manipulating the XML file itself is relatively painless, but the schema
behind it may need modifications as well, which might
prove to be somewhat more involved. Also, is the software you currently have
using transformation? (XSLT)... An additional consideration to bear in mind

Feel free to email me for more info.

Regards,
Jack